Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Day 06 - Favorite super hero and why

Uh-oh. This is the question I've been fearing. How can I commit to just one? I suppose a lengthy analysis is the best option. What defines a superhero? That is a tough question. I have many that I would love to list but will have to be selective. My focus is going to be on many superhero stories that have been made big by Hollywood. If Hollywood made them, typically it means they are already pretty darn good superheroes.

Fantastic Four (Marvel Universe)
First. The Fantastic Four. Pretty good flick. Nice comics. Favorite. No. They are cool and their team dynamics make them worth of making movies out of. It helps that they pick a good looking actresses for the key female part.

X-Men, any variety (Marvel Universe)
While pictured is the good-guys group from X-Men: Last Stand, I would also include the baddies too. X-Men really makes it because what is good and bad? There's the obvious characters, Professor X is good, Magneto is bad. Magneto's cause is good but he goes about it in the wrong way. Professor X is unwilling to bend to do wrong. As you get to more characters, you find out there reasons for being here or there are deep. Character development is some of the deepest in all comic books. Add extraordinary spectacle, and you have something awesome. Favorite, no. Why? One is the massive number of characters. Even if I picked just one, they are missing something to make them my favorite; each one missing a different aspect or lacking any all together.

Ironman/Tony Stark (Marvel Universe)
  Awesome movies. With that said. I don't care deeply about the series outside of the awesome movies of the 2008 and 2010 renditions. So obviously not my favorite superhero. However, Tony Stark AKA Ironman does have a very unique quality. EVERYONE knows that he is Ironman. It is fun to explore what its like with the typical secret identity syndrome removed from the equation. He is extremely narcissistic which makes him handle the fame in a fun way. He also advocates for removing secret identities. Think about how that would affect different super-heroes in their respective cosmos'. Fun to think about.

Spiderman (Marvel Universe)
The Spiderman franchise is excellent. You take a superhero and face him with a beat hard personal life and add in massive crossing of his superhero life, you get a dynamic character. You get to see real emotion. The movies don't quite realize it but Peter Parker/Spiderman is super smart. While he has been given super strength, commonly he will not be more powerful than his enemies but must resort to outsmarting them (often with science). His character is one of the most explored in regard to secret identity conflicts. He also has the worst luck at looking horrible or having to dodge out to save the day at the expense of something really important in his real life.

****SPOILER - SPIDERMAN 2****

You see a glimpse of that in Spiderman 2 when Doc Oc learns Spiderman's identity as Peter Parker and realizes why his professors view Peter as "brilliant but lazy." Not lazy! He's Spiderman! Take quotes like, "With great power comes great responsibility," and add great soundtrack and you have great movies. I love the movies, love the comic books, the old cartoon TV series, but still, not my favorite. We are getting closer though...

Batman (DC Universe)
So, you may notice that I have added my first non-Marvel superhero. Batman is dark. He's the superhero that has unwavering ability to do what needs to be done. The original four movies where very comic bookie in a not so wonderful way. I still liked them. When the series was re-imagined with Batman Begins and Dark Knight (soon to add Dark Knight Rising), I freaked out. This is what Batman is about. A real person, who struggles, but in all truth, has no "super" power. He takes the fall if needed. He is okay being hated.

****SPOILER ALERT (Cartoon version, not live action)****

In a Justice League movie I watched, the villain points out that only Batman would actually follow through with destroying an entire planet in order to prevent the impending evil. Again, for me, too dark to call my favorite. My favorite considers Batman a trusted friend...friend enough for Batman to kill him if he ever lost control...

BLANK SPACE TO ADD SUSPENSE
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*


JUST A LITTLE BIT FARTHER (Uh-oh, now I seem like a stupid pass this to 100 friends or you'll die email...)

































Superman (DC Universe)
C'mon,who didn't see this coming? Superman is my favorite, no contest. He exemplifies perfect and unwavering dedication to what is right. I have seen all Superman related movies and TV shows starting with Christopher Reeves Superman in 1978. I loved watching Lois and Clark. I watched every single episode of Smallville vigilantly from the day in 2001 that I sat next to my Mom and watched the Pilot episode. I daresay I was fanatical. Okay, I admit I am completely fanatical (Ginger may rival me).

Superman/Clark Kent. Who is he really? Superman or Clark Kent? Who defines who? Why is he such an iconic superhero? Some say that it is no fun to follow Superman because he's invincible and super powerful and such. I say it gives him far more responsibility to choose right and stand for Truth, Justice, and all that stuff. He is the icon of what a superhero is and should be. His real choices are of morality, not, "Am I powerful enough to beat this challenge." He has to put what is best ahead of what he might feel or what might be easy. ****SPOILER...kind of (It happens so many times it not completely a spoiler)**** Superman/Clark has to prioritize saving Lois vs. saving the general population. We always know what his decision is. He also has some of the most iconic looking poses. Superman is my number one Superhero.


Up Next: Day 07 - A picture of someone/something that has the biggest impact on you

1 comment: