Wednesday, July 29, 2009

9718 MPH – Lifeguard Games

So, the night we brought her home, I pretty much stayed up all night. I then drove to Kearns for a Lifeguard competition. USU Pool sent two teams of Lifeguards to compete. Lifeguard skills such as CPR, First aid, rescues, and etc. were tested and stacked up against the competitions. Neither team placed first but we all had a blast. It was the practice leading up to the games that mattered most. That’s why this was selected as one of the few ways employees could earn a raise. We had to review our skills and practice on our own time as a team. This also explains why I was able to leave a 2 day old baby at home with my wife…money for the diapers!

Lifeguard Games 023

This is me doing the brick tread event. We had to enter deep water feet first, swim about 25 yards, dive feet first about 7 feet to pick up a 10 lbs brick from the bottom and take it back with our face above water and two hands on the brick. There was a bonus point for keeping the brick completely above water…I got a perfect 21 out of 20. Go me!

Lifeguard Games 055 

This is just a good picture.

Lifeguard Games 077

My mom and dad came for a while and took photos and such…

 Lifeguard Games 078

They would’ve stayed longer but they had a free showing of Harry Potter to go to….I’d go to Harry Potter if I were them too…

Lifeguard Games 081

This is my team. From the left: Chris, Me, McKel, and Andrew. Chris and McKell are Head Guards (bosses) as well as certified Lifeguard Instructors like I am.

Lifeguard Games 085

Here we demonstrated our CPR skills.

 Lifeguard Games 086

Overall, the games were loads of fun. I was exhausted with only about 45 minutes of sleep the previous night yet things still went well. Unfortunately, I crashed for 5 hours at my folks house before I could head back to Logan…

No comments:

Post a Comment